Spinach is considered a nutritional powerhouse. It is a winter super food and has a delicious taste.
Juice form can even be a healthier option to consume it. Blending it with other vegetables or fruits would create a delicious glass of juice which is healthier than its juice.
Cooking it even increases the health benefits such that even only a half cup of this cooked vegetable can give you three times more nutrition than one cup of its raw vegetable. This fact stands since our body cannot totally break down the healthy ingredients of raw vegetable for it to be used by the body.
When stored under direct light, it is found to have more nutrients than those stored in darkness.
To totally enjoy spinach health benefits, makes sure that it is not stored in freezing temperature since a cold environment reduces its health benefits.
Buy fresh and eat it at the same day to take advantage of the nutritional benefits of the vegetable.
Spinach also contains oxalic acid which blocks the absorption of iron and calcium, but this problem is easily solved by eating this vegetable together with foods high in vitamin C.
- Aids in good digestion. One cup of it provides about 20 percent of the recommended daily allowance for dietary fiber, making it very effective aid in digestion while preventing constipation and maintaining low blood sugar.
- Prevents the spread of cancer cells. Flavonoids in it effectively slow down cell division in the stomach as well as division of cancer cells. It is also effective in fighting prostate cancer.
- Prevents onset of degenerative diseases. Spinach also contains many powerful antioxidants such as beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, manganese, selenium and zinc all of which serve as an effective weapon against high blood pressure, atherosclerosis and osteoporosis. The antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin exist in great amounts in this vegetable and protects the eye from cataracts and macular degeneration traced to aging.
- Reduces inflammation. The unusual amounts of neoxanthin and violaxanthin in it reliably regulate inflammation. Peptides in spinach effectively lower blood pressure after inhibiting the angiotens in I-converting enzyme.
- Promotes healthy skin and stronger bones. Other amazing health benefits of this super food is its capability to promote healthy skin and strong bones.High amounts of vitamin A in it provides us with a healthy skin since it allows proper retention of moisture in the epidermis while protecting the skin from acne, wrinkles, keratinization and psoriasis.A cup of boiled vegetable gives us about 1000 percent of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin K which limits activation of osteoclasts while promoting synthesis of osetocalcin to improve the density and strength of our bones.
- Improves health of the nervous system. Vitamin K also helps in improving the health of our nervous system by being an important part of the synthesis of sphingolipids which is the crucial fat around our nerves.
- Fights infection. Vitamin A in spinach protects entry points into the human body and is a key ingredient of white blood cells used in fighting infection.