Papaya, a tropical fruit is very delicious and has many known health benefits.
The tropical fruit called “papaw” comes from the plant of the Caricaceae plant family native to the tropical area of the Americas particularly in southern Mexico and in Central America. The outside color of the fruit ranges from amber to orange hue. The fruit may grow up to 18 inches long and up to 12 inches in diameter.
The ripe fruit may be eaten raw but without the skin and seeds. Like many other fruits and vegetables, this tropical fruit has many uses.
The unripe fruit can be used in salads, stews and curries and also served as a vegetable.
The high amount of pectin in it makes it perfect for making jellies.
Papayas can also be used as meat tenderizer and can form part of a shampoo for controlling dandruff.
The following papaya health benefits result from its high content of nutrients while having a sweet flavor:
- Source of vitamins and fiber. The fruit contain vitamins A, C, E, potassium, lutein, magnesium, lycopene, zeaxanthin and carotenoid. It is also a good source of fiber.
- Low in calorie content. Papaya is low in calories with only 39 calories for every 100 grams, making it good for a weight loss program.
- Aids in digestion. The fruit also contains enzymes such as papain and chymonpapapin which help in the proper cleansing of the digestive tract.
- Lowers risk of degenerative diseases. The vitamin content in papaya provides ample protection against heart disease while the enzymes boast of anti-inflammatory properties to minimize symptoms of diseases such as arthritis and asthma.
- Prevents heart attack. Enzymes in it also prevent the oxidation of cholesterol to prevent heart attacks while lowering cholesterol levels.
- Boosts the immune system. Vitamins A and C are always helpful to our immune system.
- Protects the lungs and the teeth. Carotene can protect the body from lung and oral cavity cancers.
- Good for the skin. Another amazing health benefit is its effectivity for skin care. It helps in getting rid of acne by opening clogged pores. It also helps in the elimination of dead cells while giving freshness and glow to the skin.Antioxidants in papaya control premature aging and gives you a younger look.
- Aids in digestion. The flesh part called papain is soft and easily digestible,
Healing properties of fruit parts
Each part of the papaya fruit has medicinal properties.
The seeds are known to have medicinal properties for the treatment of intestinal worms. Its seeds are also known to be analgesics and anti-inflammatory.
Papaya also prevents constipation and promotes good digestion. The juice of this amazing fruit can cure infections of the colon by clearing the pus and mucus within the organ, but only regular drinking of juice can hasten the healing. Wounds that cannot heal quickly as well as skin infections can also be treated.
The anti-inflammatory enzymes also help in the treatment of edema and osteoporosis while possessing anti-cancer properties.
Menstrual irregularities in women can be controlled by eating the flesh. It is also effective in easing abdominal cramps while promoting regular flow of menstruation.