Cucumber is one of the most cultivated plant in the world and is known to improve the overall health of your body. They are packed with almost all the vitamins our body need such and it is a good source of vitamin B. There are just too many cucumber health benefits in one fruit.
The cucumber skin has a significant amount of vitamin C equivalent to 10 percent of our daily recommended allowance. If you don’t feel like eating the skin, you can peel it and used it for curing skin irritation and sunburn.
The widely cultivated cucumber belongs to the gourd family and is also considered a creeping vine that bears the cylindrical edible fruit after wrapping around supports.
The three main varieties of cucumber are classified as “pickling”, “slicing” and “burpless” to which a variety of cultivars have emerged.
The elongated fruit may grow up to 60 cm in length and 10 cm in diameter. The accessory fruit has an enclosed seed and also develops from a flower.
Some claim cucumber as a superfood because of its many cucumber health benefits especially the organic ones. Cucumbers have cancer- fighting and weight-loss capabilities as well as rehydrating property.
- Contains anticancer properties. A cucumber contains pinoresinol, lariciresinol and secoisolariciresinol. They have been proven to reduce risk of different kinds of cancer such as ovarian cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer and uterine cancer.
- Helps lose weight. High water content in cucumber combined with its low calorie nature makes it an ideal diet for persons who need to lose weight.
- Eliminates body toxins. Cucumber is 95 percent water that is why it can keep the body hydrated while eliminating body toxins. The high water content combined with dietary fiber effectively gets rid of toxins from the digestive system and aids in digestion.
Cucumber relieves bad breath, cures diabetes and hangover. It also controls blood pressure, relieves gout and arthritis pain, promotes joint health and reduces cholesterol.
- A hormone in cucumber is needed by the cells of the pancreas to produce insulin in diabetics. The compound called sterols in the fruit reduces cholesterol levels while the combined strength of potassium, magnesium and fiber regulate blood pressure.
- Silica in cucumber promotes joint health by reinforcing adjoining tissues. Cucumber mixed with carrot juice can effectively eliminate gout and arthritis pain since this mixture lowers uric acid levels.
- The silicon and sulfur content of cucumbers can stimulate the growth of hair.
- Phytochemicals of the fruit can kill bacteria in the mouth that causes bad breath after putting a slice of the cucumber and pressing it to the roof of your mouth and with your tongue for at least 30 seconds.
- Eating slices of cucumber before going to bed can eliminate morning hangover and headache due to its Vitamin B and electrolyte contents which replenish many important nutrients.
Make sure you get cucumber health benefits in your daily meal. Check these healthy cucumber recipes.