Black tea truly make wonders to our health.
Black tea is very popular in the West but the largest makers of black tea in present time are India, Sri Lanka and China. Black tea has more flavors and caffeine than green tea, oolong tea and white tea, and maintains its flavor for numerous years. It comes from the leaves of the camellia sinensis plant. Tea is made by blowing air to the spread leaves to remove moisture and make the leaves pliable. The pliable leaves are rolled around to release their sugar content needed for fermentation. The leaves are turned dark in a highly humid condition to form the strong flavor.
What are the health benefits of black tea?
- Reduces damage to the heart. Black tea has a lot of excessively strong antioxidants such as flavonoids, which is effective in reducing the risk of heart disease, preventing damage to bloodstream and arteries and preventing oxidation of LDL cholesterol. The flavonoids promote good coronary vasodilation and reduce clots.
- Prevents acne. The antioxidants in black tea also prevent acne invasion in your skin.
- Improves heart functions. Manganese in black tea also reduces the risk of coronary heart disease by improving cardiac muscle function.
- Aids in good digestion process. Tannins, also found in black tea, provide a healing effect for intestinal and gastric diseases while improving digestion and providing anti-diarrheal effect.
- Improves immune system. Tannins also strengthen the immune system and catechins in tannins suppress tumors.
- Stimulates blood circulation. The small amount of caffeine in black tea promotes good blood circulation especially in the brain without stimulating the heart. Caffeine also stimulates metabolism, makes us alert and increases brain function.
- Prevents cancer. One of its most significant health benefits is its cancer prevention capabilities due to the polyphenol content in black tea. Polyphenols help in preventing the accumulation of potential carcinogens in the body to prevent certain cancers of the prostate, lungs, ovaries, colorectal and bladder. It can also prevent stomach and breast cancer as well as oral cancer. The TF-2 compound in it subjects the cancer cells to apoptosis while sparing normal cells.
- Good for losing weight. Black tea is very low in sodium, fat and calories so drinking black tea without sweeteners is effective for people who wants to lose weight or just control weight.
- Reduces bad cholesterol. Polyphenol in black tea also increases good cholesterol while reducing bad cholesterol.
- Prevents tooth decay. Fluoride in tea helps in preventing tooth decay since it strengthens tooth enamel.
- Lowers risks of diabetes and related conditions. Drinking tea regularly can also reduce glucose levels thus reducing the risk of cataracts as well as other conditions arising from diabetes.
Black tea health benefits can be effectively enjoyed by drinking about 3 to 5 cups each day.