Papaya, a tropical fruit is very delicious and has known healing properties among its many papaya health benefits.
The tropical fruit called “papaw” comes from the plant of the Caricaceae plant family native to the tropical area of the Americas particularly in southern Mexico and also in Central America. The outside color of the fruit ranges from amber to orange hue. The fruit may grow up to 18 inches long and up to 12 inches in diameter.
The ripe fruit may be eaten raw but without the skin and seeds. Like many other fruits and vegetables, this tropical fruit have many uses.
The unripe fruit can be used in salads, stews and curries and can also serve as a vegetable.
The high amount of pectin in it makes it reliable for making jellies.
It can also be used as a meat tenderizer and can form part of a shampoo for controlling dandruff.
Papaya health benefits are the result of its high content of nutrients while having a sweet flavor.
- Source of vitamins and fiber. The fruit contain vitamins A, C, E as well as potassium, lutein, magneisum, lyciopene, zeaxanthin and carotenoid. It is also a good source of fiber.
- Low in calorie content. It is low in calories at only 39 calories for every 100 grams, making it good for a weight loss program while filling you up.
- Aids in digestion. It also contains enzymes such as papain and chymonpapapin which can help in the proper cleansing of our digestive tract.
- Lowers risk of degenerative diseases. The vitamin content in it provides ample protection against heart disease while the enzymes boast of anti-inflammatory properties that can minimize symptoms of diseases such as arthritis and asthma.
- Prevents heart attack. Enzymes in it also prevent the oxidation of cholesterol to prevent heart attacks while lowering cholesterol levels.
- Boosts the immune system. Vitamins A and C are always helpful to our immune system.
- Protects the lungs and the teeth. Carotenes can protect the body from lung and oral cavity cancers.
- Good for the skin. Another amazing health benefit is on skin care. It helps in getting rid of acne by opening clogged pores.The flesh part called papain is soft and easily digestible, and helps in the elimination of dead cells while giving freshness and glow to our skin.
- Slows down aging. Antioxidants in it control premature ageing and gives you a younger look.
Healing properties of papaya fruit parts
Almost every part of the papaya fruit has its medicinal benefit.
The seeds are known to have medicinal properties such as for the treatment of intestinal worms. Its seeds are also known to be analgesics and anti-inflammatory.
It also prevents constipation and promotes good digestion. The juice of this amazing fruit can cure infections of the colon by clearing the pus and mucus within this organ, but only regular drinking of juice can hasten the healing. Wounds that cannot heal quickly as well as skin infections can also be treated.
The anti-inflammatory enzymes also help in the treatment of edema and osteoporosis while possessing anti-cancer properties for preventing cancer.
Menstrual irregularities in women can be controlled by eating the flesh. It is also effective in easing abdominal cramps while promoting regular flow of menstruation.