A fig is a sweet tasting nutritious fruit with invaluable figs health benefits due to its rich calcium and fiber content. The common species of this fruit tree is the flowering plant from the family Moraceae and is native to the Middle East and Western Asia.
The fig tree which is also an ornamental tree that grows to a height of up to 10 meters with smooth white bark. The middle of the fruit has a narrow channel enough for a wasp to enter and pollinate the flower prior to the fruit growing seeds.
The fruits can be eaten either dried or fresh and used in making jam. The ripe fruit is usually dried because it is impossible to maintain the fruits’ good state when transported.
The health benefits of figs, especially the dried fruits, include their ability to lower risks of chronic illness such as diabetes and heart disease. Here are what figs can do to your health and well-being:
- Aid in digestion. The fruit contains soluble and insoluble fibers such that one half cup serving of dried fruits contain 7.3 grams of fiber. Soluble fiber is known to slow down digestion for appetite and control blood sugar while reducing blood cholesterol levels. Insoluble fiber adds bulk to our stool to improve bowel function while keeping constipation at bay.
- Support strong bone health.The amount of calcium in figs is amazingly high so it can adequately support bone health and growth while reducing risk of developing osteoporosis. One serving of dried fruit is said to have secured 12 percent of your daily need for calcium.
- Lower blood pressure. Figs are also rich in potassium and helps lower blood pressure since more potassium in your body means suppressing the bad effects of sodium.
- Prevent anemia. They are also a good source of iron which helps in the effective transportation of oxygen in our blood while correcting anemia.
- Help lose weight. Weight loss is also one of the many health benefits. Dietary fibers in them are excellent for reducing body weight that is why figs are recommended to form part of a weight loss program. They carry natural sugar which is not bad when you are managing your weight.
- Lower cholesterol level.The soluble fiber in them known as pectin helps in lowering cholesterol levels since pectin can absorb cholesterol and discharge it out of our body. Low cholesterol in our body results in reduced risk of developing cardiovascular problems.
- Prevent free radicals.They also contain antioxidants such as vitamin C such that it can control and prevent the growth of free radicals and the development of plaque in our arteries and veins.
- Prevent heart disorders, inflammatory disorders and cancer. Omega 3 and Omega 6 in the fruits are great in volume and are known to be essential fatty acids that promote a healthy heart while preventing inflammatory diseases. These fatty acids together with the high fiber content of figs reduce the chances of having colon cancer and breast cancer.
- Promote healthy skin. The high amount of antioxidants found in them make it good as well for the skin while providing excellent anti-aging effects and preventing boils and abscesses. Fresh mashed fruits can cure acne and pimples. The juice of fresh fruit can also cure corns.
- Help maintain eye health. Figs are also good for the eyes since they are good sources of vitamin A and prevent deterioration of eyesight due to old age.